Aug 20, 2018, 12:21 AM
WHAT IS….Otitis Externa in cats and dogs?
Inflammation of the outer ear canal.
Your pet may show the following signs:
• Scratching and rubbing of the ears / scratching the head.
• Redness around the ear canal.
• Unpleasant odour and / or discharge from the ear canal.
• Pain / yelping when the ears are touched.
A number of things can contribute or accelerate this condition:
• The anatomy of the ear,
• Parasites (e.g ear mites)
• Bacterial & Yeast infection,
• Foreign bodies (e.g grass seeds)
• The presence of skin allergy or other diseases affecting the skin.
Otikfree Ear Drops from Cipla Vet is given to dogs and cats to help treat various conditions such as dermal or otic infections. It is effective for the following conditions:
- Dogs - Otitis externa and allergic dermatitis
- Cats - Associated otitis
- Both - Ear mites (Otodectes cynotis), infestation, bacterial dermatitis, fungal infections, non-specific dermatitis
The active ingredient miconazole nitrate is an antifungal, effective in killing the fungi that cause infections. Polymyxin B suplhate is an antibiotic. The final active ingredient, prednisolone acetate, is a corticosteroid, which reduces inflammation.
Dosage And Administration:
Correct usage of this medication may very from animal to animal, so you should always discuss with your vet the best way to use Otikfree Ear Drops. Typically a course of medication lasts for 2 to 3 weeks. A general guideline is found below:
1. Wash and dry your hands.
2. Shake the bottle a little to ensure the solution is mixed.
3. Open the nozzle, place in the animal's ear canal, Owners should thoroughly clean the outer ear before applying these drops, and ensure that it is dry. Squeeze the correct number of drops out, as prescribed by your vet.
4. Hold the ear upwards so the solution cannot fall out of the ear, and massage the outside of the ear to spread the solution. You should be able to hear and/or feel the solution squelching inside the ear.
5. When finished, close and recap the nozzle, and put away out of reach of children and pets.
Veterinary prescription medicine only.
Eurovets a proud distributor of the Cipla Vet brand in the UAE.